The primary function of the Finance Manager is to provide the SMF with financial management information and ensure that the information is meeting their requirements, so that they are able to understand, for example, the trends, the variances and the implications for them. This analysis is also important in enabling Babcock understand spend data associated with the DSG services that it provides the MoD, informing future decision making.
Client DetailsLocated in Andover, Babcock is an international aerospace, defence and security company. They are a leading naval business, and provide value-add services across the UK, France, Canada, Australasia and South Africa, whilst also operating in, and exporting to, additional markets.
- Helping to prepare the financial management information and analysis required for the SMF from DSG, ensuring it is timely, accurate and robust
- Working closely with the SMF to share understanding of the forecasts provided to the SMF by DSG (eg Materiel Limit of Liability and I&RM Repairs and /Consumables)
- Developing the customer's 'So What?' for forecasts, for example identifying key cost drivers and providing the SMF with options for future spend
- Ensuring the forecasts are robust, accurate and there are 'no surprises'
- Developing forecasts and other management information to be relevant and useful for both Babcock and the SMF (eg EVM analysis)
- Be one of the key points of contact in Finance for the SMF, with regular visits to ABW to liaise with relevant teams
- Having an understanding of the customer's strategy and awareness of their financial issues
- Attendance at the monthly contract (SCRM) meetings
- Involvement in Aged Debt query resolution with SMF and DSG
- Close liaison with the wider Defence Equipment BU Finance team, providing key inputs to Budget preparation, quarterly forecasts and other management reporting requirements
- Working with other areas of the DSG business, such as Operations, to ensure that the financial forecasts are of the highest quality and reflect the financial performance of the various programmes
- Preparation of ad hoc financial reports as and when required by the SMF and/or DSG
- Providing analysis and support as required by the Finance Director, DSG
As a Finance Manager, your essential skills will consist of:
- Significant experience in the use of Microsoft Office 2010 suite of applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio and Outlook.
- Experience of ERP systems and financial reporting tools
- Qualified accountant.
- Ability to ensure deadlines and targets are achieved or surpassed.
Skills Profile / Other Requirements:
- Adopts a customer-centric approach to delivery of service.
- A demonstrable team player with an ability to help motivate those working with them.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence, challenge and negotiate with various stakeholders.
- Ensure adherence to defined processes and work instructions.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify issues faced and to find solutions to those issues pro-actively.
- Excellent time management skills.
Competitive Salary + Benefits