More than you expected
Grant Thornton UK LLP is part of a global network of independent audit, tax and advisory firms, made up of some 58,000 people in over 135 countries. We're a team of independent thinkers who put quality, inclusion and integrity first. All around the world we bring a different experience to our clients. A better experience. One that delivers the expertise they need in a way that goes beyond. Personal, proactive, and agile. That's Grant Thornton.
NEW GROUND WON’T BREAK ITSELF.
In Public Services Advisory, we have worked on some of the UK's largest and most high-profile public-sector clients, infrastructure projects and public policy programmes. At their core these assignments are focused on creating value across the whole of the UK (and internationally) providing interventions that deliver economic and social benefits for current and future generations.
Every day our teams help people in businesses and communities to do what is right and achieve their goals. Our purpose is to make a difference by working hand in hand with our public and private sector clients on significant public sector projects and issues.. We are a team that has public service at its heart. The team works both virtually and from seven Grant Thornton offices - London, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, and Leeds. The team is made up of the advisers and consultants in the following sectors and disciplines:
- Net zero
- Real Estate and Assets
- Financial modelling and analytics
Transport is a core sector in our Infrastructure Team within Public Services Advisory and our transport team provides more than generic financial advice; to meet the challenges faced by central and local government and to deliver optimal solutions, we have assembled a dynamic team of financial advisers that have in-depth experience and expertise in the transport industry. As specialists in the transport sector, with direct experience of the specific industry issues needed to create successful projects, we understand the complex matrix of issues that can help or hinder the delivery of a project. We work hand in hand with our clients to help it get better value for money and manage risk. Grant Thornton believes that an integrated team specialising in transport projects should combine an ability to think strategically with a deep practical understanding of transport economics and delivery.
We’re happy to talk flexible working and consider reduced hours and job shares, we’ll support you to balance your work and life.
A look into the role
As an Assistant Manager within our team, you will:
- Become a core member of key assignments or key workstreams to meet and exceed client expectations.
- Input into the production of key reports to a good standard, managing input from colleagues where applicable.
- Engage with key clients, support the manager acting as a day-to-day point of contact.
- Take an active role in self-development, working with your People Manager to produce and implement a personal development plan for technical and personal skills.
- Support development of specific deliverables.
- Proactively take ownership of issues arising across the team, working with colleagues to find solutions to issues/challenges.
- Monitor resource deployment against budgets, produce periodic reporting for clients, manage recovery of fees, forecast billing for assignments, raise invoices and monitor debtors.
- Identify and support the management of risk in line with the firm’s policies and procedures
- Adhere to the firm’s quality management systems and support a culture of rigorous quality management in the team.
Knowing you’re right for us
Joining us as an Assistant Manager, the minimum criteria you’ll need is to have:
- Qualified /Part Qualified or equivalent experience
- Experience managing internal or external stakeholders and working within set project timeframes
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and exceed client expectations
- A demonstrable interest in the transport sector
- A commercial mind with an ability to understand contractual requirements
- Good understanding of financial statements with an analytical and numerical approach to problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to produce clear, structured reports.
It would be great if you had some of the following skills, but don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we’ll help you develop along the way.
- Think out of the box for solutions to assist the client
- Proactive candidate with interest in developing sales skills and client relationship
- Good attention to detail and can foresee issues and discuss solutions
- Good communicator
- A wealth of experience in a consulting role within Life Assurance including client development
Knowing we’re right for you
Embracing uniqueness, the culture at Grant Thornton thrives on the contributions of all our people, we never settle for what is easy, we look beyond to deliver the right thing, for everyone. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
Our open and accessible culture means you’ll interact with leaders who are interested in you and everything you bring to our firm. The things that set you apart, we value them. That’s why we give you the freedom to bring your whole self to work and pursue your passions inside and outside of work.
Beyond the job
Life is more than work. The things you do, and the people you’re with outside of work matter, that’s why we’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
The impact you can make here will go far beyond your day job. From secondments, to fundraising for local charities, or investing in entrepreneurs in the developing world, you’ll be giving back to society. It’s that drive to do the right thing that runs through our every move, grounded in our CLEARR values – Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility.
We’re looking for people who want to contribute, spark fresh ideas and go beyond expectations. People who want to be able to proudly do what’s right, for the firm, our clients, our people and themselves. It’s how it should be.