Head of Civil
At Sedulo we are building a world class team to deliver our mission to make positive change in the communities we work in. We do this by:
- Working with our clients to transform their business and personal finances
- Connecting and contributing to the business community in the cities we are located in
- Working with charities by volunteering, fundraising and influencing change both now and in the future through the Sedulo Foundation
- Being a great place to work and develop your career
To support the Head of Forensics with leading and running of the Civil side of the department, acting as a Forensic Accountant.
- Prepare fee quotes from information provided by Solicitors, Counsels, Claimants, Defendants and Clients
- Develop a strategy to determine the scope of the case and the work required- quantifying potential losses, including loss of earnings / profits in relation to personal injury, fatal accident, breach of contracts, professional negligence; money laundering, theft, fraud, tax evasion and investigations, inadequacy of books and records; business valuations, share valuations, agency valuations in matrimonial and commercial disputes, including tax implications, regulatory requirements, minority shareholding implications, HMRC disputes, insolvency issues, director disqualification proceedings.
- Review, analyse and verify confidential and sensitive evidence for use in Court proceedings and potential litigation.
- Critically review the work of the opposing party, this may be the Claimant/Defendant/ Applicant/Respondent/HMRC/Government bodies/Prosecution/other party’s Forensic Accountants/advisors, or others.
- Interpret mass volumes of complex data and reconciliation of accounts, including reconstruction of accounts from source documents
- Develop fact finding questions for further areas of investigation and request additional documentary evidence for consideration
- Preparation of expert financial information and analysis for both litigation and investigations
- Attend conferences with Solicitors, Counsel, Claimants, Defendants, Clients, Law Enforcement Agencies, Government bodies
- Prepare reports with supporting schedules and appendices, in a clear and concise format suitable for Court purposes, under the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), and Family Procedure Rules (FPR) for claimants, defendants and on joint instructions
- Prepare other written advice/opinions/valuations, letter reports, etc for consideration by Clients, solicitors and Counsel where appropriate.
- Attendance at joint meetings and preparation of Joint Statements
- Attendance at court as an Expert witness if requested
- Express an Expert opinion and put forward an opposing argument
- Monitor cases to ensure areas quoted in the fee are covered, time limits are met, fee estimates remain appropriate, budgets are not exceeded, the scope of the work remains within that quoted, providing regular verbal and written updates to Solicitors, Counsel, Claimants, Defendants and Clients
- Issue bills and monitor quotes outstanding (won/lost).
- Support the development of the Forensic Team, identifying training needs and working with the People and Culture team to implement value add training
- Participate in networking/marketing opportunities to develop and maintain client relationships
Your knowledge, skills and experience
- Minimum of three years working in a Civil Forensic capacity and writing expert reports to completion
- ACCA / ACA / CIMA qualified or part qualified with relevant on the job experience and working towards qualification
- A good understanding of statutory accounts and incomplete records
- Ability to prioritise own workload and manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Analytically minded, possess and excellent eye for detail and not be afraid to challenge
- An ability to form strong working relationships and partnerships with clients and solicitors, barristers
- A willingness to learn and develop yourself professionally