Director of Finance & Resources
War on Want are partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit a Director of Finance & Resources role on a permanent basis. War on Want works in the UK and with partners around the world to fight poverty and defend human rights, as part of the movement for global justice. We campaign in the UK to challenge human rights abusing corporations and governments, to hold those responsible for inequality and poverty to account.
Reporting into the Executive Director, this critical role will be responsible for directly managing a team of two, whilst holding key oversight of the whole Finance Function, in addition to all things Health and Safety, Administration, IT and HR. As a member of the Senior Management Team, you will be responsible for ensuring an effective cross-organisational budgeting and planning process, to underpin robust strategic business plans for presentation to our Council of Management.
War on Want is a radical charity. We run hard-hitting campaigns against the root causes of poverty, inequality, climate injustice and human rights violations. We mobilise support, and build alliances, to fight for human rights, especially workers’ rights. We raise public awareness of the root causes of poverty, inequality and injustice, and empower people to take action for change. By working together as a global movement we believe a just, fair world is possible.
This role offers a full-time opportunity with an excellent benefits package, including 27 days annual leave (rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service), a 6% contributory pension scheme, time off in lieu and flexible working arrangements. Furthermore, War on Want are operating on hybrid working patterns, with the successful postholder expected to be in the office two or three days per week.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Maintain accurate and up to date financial reporting including preparing monthly management accounts, variance analysis, relevant performance indicators and forecasts
- Assist the Senior Management Team (SMT) in preparing business and operational plans, managing War on Want’s funds to their best advantage
- Contribute to the leadership and organisational strategy, planning, policy, decision making and every day running of War on Want as a member of the Senior Management Team
- Embed a culture of high-performance in the team by developing departmental objectives, budgets and work plans, ensure performance standards are achieved, budgets are monitored, and results evaluated to drive continuous improvement
- Work with the Council of Management (Trustees), the Finance and Resources Committee and the Treasurer on reporting against the organisation’s finances and operations
- In conjunction with the charity’s IT external support ensure the integrity and security of the IT resource, including back-up procedures and compliance with software licensing requirements
- Oversee the charity’s external HR function
- Assume overall responsibility for the effective and efficient running of the administrative mechanism
- Prepare annual budgets
- Maintain and develop effective internal financial controls
- Prepare annual statutory accounts, liaising with the Treasurer as required
- Oversee the administration of legacies and legacy income
The successful candidate will have:
- Substantive or proven Director level experience of at least three years in finance management in a UK environment
- Experience of overseeing other areas outside of finance
- Relevant accountancy qualifications or appropriate experience
- At least three years’ experience in charity accounts
- An understanding of income generation, grant management and restricted funding processes
- Experience of managing organisational procurement, admin and legal processes to ensure conformity with established regulations and best practise
- Ideally, experience or knowledge of Exchequer Accounting System
The closing date for applications is Sunday 5th June 2022. Applications will be under constant review before the closing date so please submit your CV ASAP to our retained search agent Robertson Bell to avoid disappointment.