11 days ago
A secondment into UK Accounting Consulting Services (ACS), within Audit Risk and Quality (ARQ), will provide the opportunity to support our engagement teams and clients by providing advice and counsel on accounting matters involving IFRS and UK GAAP as well as financial and corporate reporting issues.
As part of ACS, you will provide expert advice on a variety of accounting and financial reporting topics, support engagement teams in resolving complex issues, be involved in developing technical materials and delivering technical training to the firm, and support clients in evaluating the potential impact of accounting and reporting standard setting initiatives.
You'll develop strong relationships with engagement teams from the audit practice, the CAN, CMAS, IFRS 17 advisory and proactive assurance teams and enhance our ability to meet greater stakeholder expectations within the challenges of an increasingly complex business environment. IFRS 17 is effective from 2023 and this role is a great opportunity to stay ahead of the curve while continuing to make a significant contribution to your home business unit.
About The Team
The UK ACS team is based across three national hub locations, Embankment Place (London), One Chamberlain Square (Birmingham) and Atria One (Edinburgh).
We embrace flexible working within ACS and use technology to support this. We are a highly tech enabled department and given we are spread across three locations much of our communication is done over Google Hangouts, and we work collaboratively in Google Drive. We also support flexible working patterns including part time roles, spending more time in your current home office and working from remote locations.
A large number of the ACS team are seconded from the business and structured into two teams, the Financial Instruments team and the Non-Financial Instruments team. We also have a separate team focusing on narrative reporting.
The ACS team is the first point of call for many Audit engagement teams. Amongst other activities we:
Provide accounting guidance and advice in response to consultations and enquiries from the practice
Perform hot reviews on financial statements for some of our larger / riskier audit clients
Provide guidance for the most complex and high profile accounting issues our clients and others face through technical panels, assisting with enquiries from the FRRP and acting as an expert accounting witness in legal case
Produce and update the firm’s accounting guidance and publications
Develop and deliver accounting technical training to the firm and some clients
About The role
The positions available currently are for insurance specialists at both manager and senior manager level within our Financial Instruments team. Location is flexible.
We are able to offer full time opportunities, or part time opportunities to those on reduced hours flexible working arrangements.
All available opportunities are on a secondment basis. The standard term we would offer would be two years, however we would also be able to offer shorter terms secondments to those who would be interested, for example a three or six month secondment, which would primarily focus on working on the ACS helpline dealing with accounting consultations and enquiries.
The secondment model we operate is designed to provide individuals from the practice with invaluable skills, experiences and technical learning that they can take back to their home business units and will leave them well placed to progress following the secondment.
We are looking for Senior Managers and Managers, however would also consider Senior Associates by exception if they could demonstrate the necessary skills and experience.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop an extensive network of senior contacts across the firm as well as interacting with partners and directors on a daily basis. In being part of the ACS team, you will find yourself sought after for your specialist knowledge.
- Enhance your problem solving skills - We are faced with a diverse range of accounting and reporting challenges from across the UK Firm every day. You will build advanced analytical skills that can be applied beyond solving technical issues.
- Develop a practical and “challenging” mindset - The exact solutions to accounting issues aren’t always clear cut. You will learn to develop pragmatic solutions to address clients’ issues, appreciating commerciality and leadership skills. You will also learn to constructively challenge teams and clients. Be it becoming a subject matter expert, being the first port of call for a FTSE 100 engagement team or coordinating our response to a future standard, we provide you numerous opportunities to build leadership skills.
- Build your communication skills - Talking to the practice and each other is at the heart what we do in ACS every day. Explaining accounting concepts in an understandable way both verbally and in writing will provide you with enhanced and transferable communication skills you can apply beyond giving technical advice. Our people learn to become more persuasive and capable of presenting logical arguments.
- Broaden your horizons and gain a unique insight into the application of IFRS around the world through our participation in the Global ACS network. Help shape the direction of travel - we are at the forefront of IFRS and UK GAAP accounting developments through sharing our views with standard setters on future developments and working with them to make them aware of application issues.
- And, of course, become an expert - Develop an in-depth knowledge of IFRS, UK GAAP, Corporate Reporting, Company Law and the practical issues preparers face in applying accounting guidance.
- Respond to accounting enquiries and consultations from engagement teams coming through the ACS helpline.
- Review high profile financial statements such as those of our FTSE 100 clients and those included in listing documents.
- Provide year-round, dedicated support to FTSE 100 audit engagement teams.
- Develop and update the PwC network’s global accounting guidance such as the IFRS Manuals of Accounting and content for our external and internal knowledge management website, PwC Inform and its successor.
- Participate in the Global ACS network giving us exposure to IFRS application around the world and ensuring consistent application of IFRS across the network.
- Deliver accounting training internally to the practice and externally to our clients.
- Help to shape the future of accounting standards by responding to standard setters on discussion papers and exposure drafts of proposed new guidance.
- A good working knowledge of accounting standards, but you don’t have to be an expert.
- A willingness to challenge points of view and opinions through presenting logical arguments.
- Able to demonstrate ability to think conceptually and find solutions to complex issues.
- A passion for excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong influencing and team working skills with both peers and senior individuals.
- Assertive, flexible, proactive, and self motivated with a desire for learning.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to multi-task, be flexible and recognise changing priorities.